Yes, that is Spock in the headphones. The year was 1979. These are some of my LPs, themed compilations, and the like.

Requests?

DEAR FRIENDS ... If you have any special requests from earlier posts? Let me know! msuperfan1956@gmail.com


If you want me to send something personally to you, send me an email; Blogger comments do not allow me to send YOU a reply.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Grungy Proto Prog Rock

In the mid-1970s I became a fan of Emerson, Lake and Palmer.  Their music, like me, was by turns literary, showoffy, introspective, and cheesy.

Although some of their lyrics showed a shallow would-be intellectual athiesm, much of the music still moves me, especially Brain Salad Surgery.   It's kind of a measure of a like/irritation relationship when I say that this album is their finest work --- yet the album's title comes from a sexual metaphor that really isn't funny or clever, to anyone emotionally older than maybe a 12-year-old.

In 1977 I went to my local independent record store and they special-ordered this double album for me, for all of $3.77.  I was curious to see what other stuff Keith Emerson had done.

Well, it is definitely a mixed bag.  But fun.

There is a CD release of SOME of this music, but it leaves out a song or two.  My rip includes those.  To make room for them, I did not include one of the two versions of the same song that were on the double LP -- that is, one of their versions of Tchaikovsky's  Pathetique Symphony No. 6, 3rd Movement.

Here are the tracks:


1. The Five Bridges Suite:
   I. Fantasia - First Bridge (6:08)
   II. 2nd Bridge (3:59)
   III. Chorale - 3rd Bridge (3:30)
   IV. High Level Fugue - 4th Bridge (1:02)
   V. Finale - 5th Bridge (3:34)
2. Intermezzo Karelia Suite (8:57)
3. Pathetique Symphony No. 6, 3rd Movement (9:22)
4. Country Pie/Brandenburg Concerto No. 6 (5:39)
5. One of Those People (3:07)
6. Hang On To A Dream (12:39)
7. America (10:15)
8. My Back Pages (9:12)

Here is the link to my version:   http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KCXWMUSB

No comments:

Post a Comment