01. The Star-Spangled Banner - Jerry Goldsmith (1:22)02. This Land Is Your Land - Peter, Paul & Mary (2:27)
03. Let’s All Be Americans Now - Arthur Hall (3:05)
04. People Like You and Me - Glenn Miller & His Orchestra (3:46)
05. The Stars and Stripes Forever - The US Army Ceremonial Band (3:33)
06. Home on the Range - The Sons of the Pioneers (2:41)
07. God Bless America - Kate Smith (2:04)
08. Variations on “America” - Charles Ives (7:10)
09. The House I Live In - Frank Sinatra (3:39)
10. The Magnificent Seven Main Title - Elmer Bernstein (1:59)
11. Pleasant Moments - Scott Joplin (3:02)
12. Ragged Old Flag - Johnny Cash (3:08)
13. No Restricted Signs (Up in Heaven) - Golden Gate Quartet (2:59)
14. You're a Grand Old Flag - James Cagney (5:39)
15. High Noon - Tex Ritter (2:47)
16. Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree (With Anyone Else But Me) - Glenn Miller & His Orchestra (3:11)
17. Battle Hymn of the Republic - John Williams & The Boston Pops (5:01)
18. A Lincoln Portrait - Aaron Copland (15:44)
19. The Stars and Stripes Forever - Vladimir Horowitz (4:00)
Track 9 may be cheesy to some, but I am un-ironic and I love it.
Track 13 is about "No Restricted Signs" in Heaven. And that's how it should be here in the USA, too.
Track 14 is, of course, from Yankee Doodle Dandy.
The crowning jewel is Track 18. Although there are some hiss issues here and there, let me tell you the story. I recorded this from a live radio performance some time in (I believe) the 1980s. Aaron Copland himself, the composer, is also the narrator of President Lincoln's stirring, healing words.
And the final track is a wonderful, swaggering piano performance.
God bless America, and Happy Fourth of July! Thank God for your freedoms, and live your life to spread those liberties (and responsibilities) to everybody.
See you Monday!