About This Blog!

Our beloved Spock is featured in the header photo, taken in 1979. These are some of my LPs, themed compilations, and the like.

ALL LINKS 2015 & LATER SHOULD BE ACTIVE. If you find a dead FileFactory link, or for any other correspondence, send me an email; Blogger comments do not allow me to send YOU a reply. That’s msuperfan1956@gmail.com


Monday, June 16, 2014

Golden Barbershop Ballads



 I admit that sometimes I'm a sucker for sentimentality.  Some kinds.  For instance, I remain unmoved by photos of big-eyed kitty-cats or babies playing with puppies.

But I tear up when watching the kids run home to their families at the end of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  And some (admittedly silly) pop songs about being cheerful because it's a gift to be alive also made me go a little squishy.  James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend" may signify overwrought, overplayed narmy sappiness to most people ... but for Joyce and I, it's ALSO the 45RPM record we played on the Pizza Hut jukebox as we ate together as friends BEFORE knowing that we were also falling in love with each other.

And secondarily, one of my fond memories of being in the Sooner High School Concert Choir was doing some barbershop songs.

So, knowing that expressions of love and devotion may reach a dubious audience, I STILL present to you some Golden Barbershop Ballads.



I found this as a cassette at the local DAV thrift store a couple of years ago.  At home I looked it up.  It's from 1966, and here's a mention of it in Billboard Magazine's February 5th issue:



And here's what we got:

01 - When You're A Long, Long Way From Home - Four Hearseman
02 - Little Pal - The Rascals
03 - My Ideal - The Gala-Lads
04 - A Little Street Where Old Friends Meet - Sun Tones
05 - I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen - Easternaires
06 - Did Your Mother Come From Ireland - Play Tonics
07 - For Me And My Gal - Sidewinders
08 - Love Me and the World Is Mine - Lads of Enchantment
09 - Cabin On The Hilltop - Play Tonics   
10 - That Old Gang Of Mine - Four Pitchikers
11 - Danny Boy - Easternaires
12 - Down By The Old Mill Stream - The Rhythm Counts

Do you suppose that the Four Hearsemen are undertakers in their day jobs?

This is a facet of my musical appreciation society.  It's up to you whether this body of musical eclecticism reflects PASS or FAIL

If you want to give it a try . . .

  

No comments:

Post a Comment