About This Blog!

Our beloved Spock is featured in the header photo, taken in 1979. These are some of my LPs, themed compilations, and the like.

ALL LINKS 2015 & LATER SHOULD BE ACTIVE. If you find a dead FileFactory link, or for any other correspondence, send me an email; Blogger comments do not allow me to send YOU a reply. That’s msuperfan1956@gmail.com


Thursday, March 26, 2020

Repost: HANSON: Symphonies 1 - 2 - Lament for Beowulf


My introduction to American composer Howard Hanson came from the 1979 film Alien.  An excerpt from Hanson's Second Symphony, "Romantic," was heard at the end as Ripley fries the aforementioned critter's butt.

You may hear the recording used in the film at my post for May 5, 2016.


This music is melodic yet (to me) contains "modernistic" clashes of dissonance.  The Lament for Beowulf proves that great minds think alike.

Symphony No. 1, Op. 22 - “Nordic”
1) I. Andante solenne - Allegro con forza
2) II. Andante teneramente, con semplicita
3) III. Allegro con fuoco

4) Lament for Beowulf - Op. 25

Symphony No. 2, Op. 30 - “Romantic”
5) I. Adagio - Allegro moderato
6) II. Andante con tenerezza
7) III. Allegro con brio
I think you'll be fascinated too.
See you on Monday.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment