About This Blog!

Our beloved Spock is featured in the header photo, taken in 1979. These are some of my LPs, themed compilations, and the like.

ALL LINKS 2015 & LATER SHOULD BE ACTIVE. If you find a dead FileFactory link, or for any other correspondence, send me an email; Blogger comments do not allow me to send YOU a reply. That’s msuperfan1956@gmail.com


Monday, July 17, 2017

English Madrigals from the Courts of Elizabeth I and James I

This fine 1969 album provides refined listening.

The media I'm sharing was a cassette version, so no pops, clicks, or skips are hangin' round.




Madrigals from the Reign of Queen Elizabeth I (d 1603)
01 - All Creatures Now Are Merry-Minded - John Bennet   (2:01)
02 - This Sweet and Merry Month of May - William Byrd   (2:30)
03 - Say, Dear, When Will Your Frowning Leave? - Thomas Weelkes   (3:25)
04 - Whither Away So Fast? - Thomas Morley   (2:27)
05 - Construe My Meaning - Giles Farnaby   (2:17)
06 - Though Amaryllis Dance in Green - William Byrd   (2:13)
07 - Sorrow Consumes Me - George Kirbye   (3:35)
08 - Now Is the Month of Maying - Thomas Morley   (1:53)
09 - Lullaby, My Sweet Little Baby - William Byrd   (2:07)
10 - Fair Nymphs, I Heard One Telling - John Farmer   (2:03)

Madrigals from the Reign of James I (d 1625)
11 - Come Away Sweet Love and Play Thee - Thomas Greaves   (1:11)
12 - Sweet Suffolk Owl - Thomas Vautor   (2:31)
13 - Sister Awake, Close Not Your Eyes - Thomas Bateson   (1:54)
14 - The Silver Swan - Orlando Gibbons   (1:57)
15 - Shall I Abide This Jesting? - Richard Alison   (2:42)
16 - Too Much I Once Lamented - Thomas Tomkins   (5:57)
17 - Sweet Honey-Sucking Bees - John Wilbey   (4:32)
18 - Retire, My Troubled Soul - John Ward   (3:22)


Also included are scans of the insert and liner notes.

While this lovely music won't cure a steamy, sticky summer's day, they will provide a perfect accompaniment to resting in the shade after the heat of the day passes.  For some reason, I'm charmed by the thought of this music in the air, with background noises of cicadas and crickets.





See you Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment